Current Incident: COVID-19 Pandemic
- State Forests: Closures, Open
- Burn Permits
- NCFS Office Closures
- Programs and Services
- Tree Seedling Distribution
- Forestry Education Resources, Tree Activities
All N.C. Forest Service updates and current information related to COVID-19 impacts and safety measures continue to be posted on this webpage. Check frequently for updates. Last updated: 10/27/2020 at 10:11 a.m.
The N.C. Forest Service continues to closely monitor the state’s response to COVID-19. For the safety of our visitors, we are implementing common sense measures at every NCFS facility and state forest.
State Forest Closures, Facility Updates
CLOSED STATE FORESTS:
Effective at noon on Friday, March 20, 2020, due to public safety and in support of social distancing no special use permits of any kind are being issued for State Forests or other NCFS locations and Forest amenities are temporarily closed to the public until further notice including offices, education and visitor centers, restrooms and picnic shelters.
OPEN STATE FORESTS:Record visitation seen at public lands during COVID-19 pandemic; public reminded to maintain social distance
Just remember to follow social distancing guidelines to help us keep forests open as safe places during the COVID-19 pandemic. To download Social Distancing Guidelines for North Carolina State Forests, click here. View tips for staying healthy in N.C. State Forests here
- Bladen Lakes State Forest, 4470 NC Highway 242 N, Elizabethtown – 910-588-4964
- Clemmons Educational State Forest, 2411 Old U.S. 70 West, Clayton – 919-553-5651
- DuPont Recreational State Forest, 89 Buck Forest Road, Cedar Mountain – 828-877-6527 (click for more information)
- Headwaters State Forest, Southern Transylvania County – No restroom facilities exist in this forest.
- Holmes Educational State Forest, 1299 Crab Creek Road, Hendersonville – 828-692-0100
- Jordan Lake Educational State Forest, 2832 Big Woods Road, Chapel Hill – 919-542-1154
- Mountain Island Educational State Forest, 534 Killian Road, Stanley – 704-822-9518 – Please note: By appointment only
- Rendezvous Mountain Educational State Forest, 1956 Rendezvous Mtn. Road, Purlear – 336-667-5072
- Turnbull Creek Educational State Forest, 4803 Sweet Home Church Road, Elizabethtown – 910-588-4161
- Tuttle Educational State Forest, 3420 Playmore Beach Road, Lenoir – 828-757-5608
Burn Permit Availability
There are many factors to consider before burning yard debris. One important factor to consider, especially during the COVID-19 pandemic, is whether burning yard debris is necessary. If it can wait, let it wait. Consider alternatives to burning. Some types of debris, such as leaves, grass and stubble, may be of more value if they are not burned but used for mulch instead.
If you do choose to burn, make sure you have a valid permit. You may obtain burning permits online or in person at those agents that are open to the public. NCFS Office Locations are still temporarily closed to the public due to COVID-19 restrictions. To receive an online burning permit, please use the Online Burning Permit System.
NCFS Office Closures
In the interest of safety for visitors and staff, all NCFS Office Locations are temporarily closed to the public until further notice. Additional measures may be implemented, adjusted and closed as needed. Please be aware that staffing adjustments may increase response times for inquiries and on-site assistance.
Programs and Services
The NCFS continues to closely assess the COVID-19 outbreak and how we deliver our programs and services. We are aware this could be a very challenging time for many in our forestry community, particularly small businesses. To learn more about how we continue delivering programs and services during the pandemic, read our COVID-19 Impacts to N.C. Forest Service Programs & Services memo.
Tree Seedling Distribution
NCFS Tree Seedlings and Nursery Products continue to be available. Please call ahead to your local distribution point to schedule your seedling pickup in advance. More Information
Seedling Distribution Center Contacts
- Mountain Distribution Centers
- Asheville: 828-667-5211
- Lenoir: 828-757-5611
- Sylva: 828-586-4007
- Mt. Holly: 704-827-7576
- Piedmont Distribution Centers
- Rockingham: 910-995-0318
- Rocky Mount: 252-955-2209
- Fayetteville: 910-437-2620
- Lexington: 336-956-2111
- Hillsborough: 919-732-8105
- Coastal Plain Distribution Centers
- New Bern: 252-514-4764
- Edenton: 252-331-3771 (secondary number: 252-548-4730)
- Whiteville: 910-642-5093
- Goldsboro: 919-731-7988
Forestry Education Resources & Tree-Related Activities with Students
For Forestry Education Resources & Tree-Related Activities with Students check out our kids page.