Foresters for Healthy Waters Program: Pre-Harvest Plan Cost Share
What: A time-limited cost-share program to support the preparation of detailed Pre-Harvest Plans that go ‘above & beyond’ existing baseline requirements for protecting water quality.
Goal: Ensure rivers and streams on forestlands remain in good condition to support habitat needs for multiple rare aquatic species.
Where: This project is available in the following counties: Edgecombe, Franklin, Granville, Halifax, Nash, Vance, and Warren (see map below).
Benefits: Landowners who voluntarily participate will receive reimbursement for the cost of having a qualifying Pre-Harvest Plan prepared for their pending timber harvest.
Eligible Landowners: Non-industrial private forestland owners.
Minimum Area Size: 10 acres (contiguous).
Cost-Share Availability Start Date: July 1, 2021.
Pre-Harvest Plans are the only plans available for this cost-share assistance, and must be prepared by forestry or wildlife management practitioners who have completed training through the Foresters for Healthy Waters Program (see list in “Related Resources”).
Tract eligibility requirements are listed below, all 3 items must be met:
1. Area of harvest must be 10 acres or more (must be contiguous; can include the stream buffer).
2. Timber harvest is expected in the next 1 to 3 years (commercial thinning is eligible; pre-commercial thinning is not).
3. The harvested area will continue as a forest (this may include natural or artificial regeneration).
Program participants will need to coordinate with the following NCFS Districts for funding, Plan
submission and review, and invoice submission for reimbursement payment:
• NCFS District 5 – Rocky Mount Office (252-442-1626). Eligible Counties include Edgecombe, Franklin, Halifax, Nash, and Warren.
• NCFS District 11 – Hillsborough Office (919-732-8105). Eligible Counties include Granville and Vance.
Applications will be accepted at the NCFS offices starting on July 1, 2021. Funding allocations will be made on a “first come, first served” basis, based upon the date of receipt of the application at the NCFS Headquarters in Raleigh, NC.
|Acres Planned for Harvest||Maximum Total Cost Share Payment|
|10 to 25||$750|
|26 to 50||$1,250|
|51 to 75||$1,750|
|76 to 100||$2,250|
|101 to 150||$3,000|
The Pre-Harvest Plan must include all of the applicable Required Elements described in the Program Handbook, and outlined in the Plan Checklist.
This project is funded by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service in cooperation with support from the N.C. Forest Service.
Details of this Program are coming soon and will be posted under “Related Resources” on this web page.